Instant Idli Mix
Idli is a delicious Indian breakfast. Idli is a type of savoury rice cake, originating from the Indian subcontinent, popular as breakfast foods in southern India and among Tamils in Sri Lanka. The cakes are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented black lentils (de-husked) and rice. Idlis, by themselves have no, significant taste, but since they are made from fermented batter, product has a sour taste and a slight fermented odor.
Product Code : 31
- Mix one volume (cup) of Instant Idli Mix and add to it 1 & 1/2 volume (cups) of water.
- Using fingers only, mix into a smooth batter without lumps.
- Allow the batter to stand for 10 minutes.
- With a ladle, pour the batter into greased Idli plates.
- Steam the Idlis for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes remove and serve steaming hot Idlis with Orkay® Instant Sambar and Chutney.
- The necessary quantity of Salt has already been added. Seasoning like pepper etc., may be added to the Idli mix before adding water.
- For better taste sweet butter milk may be added in place of water.
Idli was reportedly invented way back in 700 CE. The earliest mention of Idli occurs in the Kannada writing called Vaddaradhane by Shivakotiacharya in 920 AD. The Kannada king and scholar Someshwara III, also included Idli as a recipe in his encyclopedia, 'Manasollasa', written in Sanskrit ca. 1130 A.D.